Here is my recipe for a delicious risotto with cold smoked salmon.
It takes about 40 minutes to make, from start to your plate.
For 4 people, here are the ingredients:
- 300 grams of risotto rice
- 150 mL white wine (fruity is nice)
- 1.5 L of fish stock
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 leek (in half rings)
- 1 handful of basil leafs (chopped)
- 150 grams of cold smoked salmon (in small pieces)
- some butter
- grated cheese
- pepper & salt as you like
- 2 – 3 tablespoons of olive oil
You’ll need a non stick pan for the risotto and a big enough pan to keep 1.5L fish stock hot.
- Heat the fish stock, put it on a small fire to prevent it from cooling down. It doesn’t have to boil.
- In the non stick pan, add the oil and heat it on a medium fire.
- Add the chopped onion and leek to the oil, stir until the onion turns glassy.
- Add the risotto and stir until it turns a bit glassy.
- Pour the wine into the pan and stir until almost absorbed.
- Now you can start to add the fish stock to the risotto in small portions, stirring often. After each addition, wait until it is almost absorbed before adding more stock.
- When you start to run out of stock, try some of the risotto to see if it is nearly ready. The rice should still be firm but there should not be a hard piece in it anymore. If the rice is not done yet, add a bit more hot water, 100 – 200 mL usually does the trick.
- When the risotto is done, turn off the heat and let the rice sit for a few minutes while you chop the basil and smoked salmon.
- Add both ingredients together with some bits of butter (makes it really smooth).
- Stir well and add some salt and pepper for your liking. (I never add salt as the salmon and stock are pretty salty)
- When everyone likes the same amount and type of cheese in their risotto, you can add the cheese at this moment, I prefer to let everyone add the cheese on their plate due to different cheese preferences.
I nearly forgot, this recipe is also very nice to take with you for lunch, fills you up really well!
Hope you love it as much as we do!