Hi again! Here is another one of my favorite recipes. This Pasta salad with mackerel and cucumber is super easy and fast and should not take you more than 30 minutes to make.
This recipe is ideal for a warm summer evening. I thought about saving it until next summer to post it but I thought, maybe someone can still enjoy it on a nice September evening.
For 4-6 people you need the following ingredients:
- 400gr. pasta (we always use those shell types because the mackerel and sauce really go into it)
- 1 steamed or smoked mackerel (this recipe is particuly nice with fresh home smoked mackerel)
- 1 cucumber (diced)
- 1 white onion (diced)
- 1 bunch of dill (chopped)
- 4 tablespoons of mayonaise
- 2 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove (chopped really fine or use a garlic press)
Those are all the ingredients, not too bad right?
- Ok, to start, bring enough water to a boil and cook the pasta.
- In the meantime, remove all the parts of the mackerel you don’t like (make sure you get all those tiny fishbones) and pluck the filets into small pieces.
- When the pasta is finished, dump the water and rinse the pasta with lots of cold water (yes cold, you want to stop the cooking process). Let the pasta drain very well.
- In a large bowl, put the mackerel, onion and diced cucumber.
- To prepare the sauce, mix the mayoniase with the balsamic vinegar and the garlic (this looks very nasty, I know, but the taste is great!).
- Add the fresh dill and the sauce to the large bowl and mix it all together.
- And that is it! Enjoy!
If you are not a big fan of raw onion, try chopping it really fine or only use half of the onion. If it is still to much for you, try heating the chopped onion until glassy (use a tiny bit of olive oil) and add to the mix.
This recipe is great to prepare for parties, besides for the reason that almost everyone loves it and they always want the recipe, cause you can easily prepare this a day in advance, the flavours will mix a lot better, making this even nicer! Also, it is easy to make big portions.
I really hope you love it as much as we do, this has turned into one of our family recipes.